For over a decade, the Climate and Health Alliance has advocated to governments about the need to protect health from the impacts of climate change. Right now, we are one huge step closer toward achieving real action.
The Federal Government has commenced consultation on the first ever National Health and Climate Strategy. This is a good start, but as is the Strategy will fall far short of what is needed to protect human health.
Right now, CAHA is mobilising health stakeholders to advocate to strengthen the Strategy. We’re meeting with politicians and policymakers at national, state and territory levels, and activating health institutions and experts to support our recommendations. However, we can only do this with your help.
Will you donate now to use this moment to secure an ambitious National Health and Climate Strategy? Every donation – whether $5, $50 or $500 – will help achieve a world-leading policy which protects our health from the impacts of climate change.
CAHA has been calling for a national plan like this since we formed in 2010. One of the very first things I did as Founder was write a press release about the need for a national plan that tackled health and climate change. We then secured commitments from the Labor Party at the 2022 election to develop the National Health and Climate Strategy.
We are at the table guiding this work right now. In this four-week window of opportunity, we can mobilise the health sector to make the case for a national strategy that future-proofs our health and wellbeing. We don’t have a minute to waste.
With your support we can push for a strong Strategy that:
- Protects the health of our community
- Requires policymakers to consider health in climate policy decisions
- Supports the health sector – currently responsible for 7% of national greenhouse gas emissions – to electrify
Will you chip in to help us shape Australia’s first ever national strategy on the health impacts of climate change?
Your donation will enable the Climate and Health Alliance to:
- Work with health leaders to advocate for a Strategy that is fit for purpose
- Launch a campaign that builds community and media support for the health sector’s key demands
- Develop a submission guide for health institutions and individuals to help strengthen the Strategy
- Provide expert advice to Government ministers and policymakers via our position on the Chief Medical Officer’s advisory group
- Mobilise the climate movement and the community sector to support the calls from the health sector for a strong National Health and Climate Strategy
Thank you for all that you do to protect climate and health.
Founder & Strategic Projects Director