We're helping health services and organisations to work together towards a sustainable and healthy future via the Global Green and Healthy Hospital Network
Global Green and Healthy Hospitals is a free global network for hospitals and health organisations who are committed to reducing their ecological footprint and promoting public and environmental health.
CAHA is proud to run the Pacific Region of the network, including 100+ health institutions across Australia and New Zealand.
By joining the network, your health institution is demonstrating its commitment to protecting the environment and providing a safe, healthy future for your community.
Membership is open to:
- Health care facilities (e.g. community health centers; primary care facilities)
- Health system members (private, public, private for charity)
- Health, professional and academic organisations members
Members will get:
- access to a network of sustainable healthcare peers
- resources developed specifically for sustainable healthcare
- opportunities to promote your health service's environmental successes and be recognised internationally through awards programs, such as the Healthcare Climate Challenge
Members need to outline their commitment working towards two of the following areas:
- LEADERSHIP: Prioritise environmental health
- CHEMICALS: Substitute harmful chemicals with safer alternatives
- WASTE: Reduce, treat and safely dispose of healthcare waste
- ENERGY: Implement energy efficiency and clean, renewable energy generation
- WATER: Reduce hospital water consumption and supply potable water
- TRANSPORTATION: Improve transportation strategies for patients and staff
- FOOD: Purchase and serve sustainably grown, healthy food
- PHARMACEUTICALS: Safely manage and dispose of pharmaceuticals
- BUILDINGS: Support green and healthy hospital design and construction
- PURCHASING: Buy safer and more sustainable products and materials
If you want to encourage employers or member organisations to join the GGHH network, contact our Sustainable Healthcare program manager.
About the GGHH network in the Pacific Region (Australia and New Zealand)
The GGHH network is an initiative of the Climate and Health Alliance’s (CAHA) international partner and affiliate, Health Care Without Harm (HCWH). Through a grant from HCWH, CAHA coordinates the network in the Pacific region (Australia and New Zealand).
A GGHH Pacific Region summary document is available here.
Learn more about how members in the Pacific region are working to improve sustainability by viewing a list of member's environmental sustainability plans and strategies here and via the GGHH Case study library here.
CAHA regularly hold sustainable healthcare events, including an annual Greening the Healthcare Sector Forum. Read more about past events here and find out more about our upcoming Greening the Healthcare Sector Forum 2021 here.
GGHH Pacific region members work is regularly featured in our Sustainable Healthcare newsletter.
GGHH Pacific region members
As of June 2021, there are 112 GGHH members in the Pacific region, representing over 2,000 hospitals and health services.
GGHH Pacific Region Sustainability Case Studies
- Australia | Developing an Environmental Sustainability Plan, South Eastern Sydney Local Health District Download case study
- Australia | Establishing Structures to Enable Climate Resilient Healthcare, Nepean Blue Mountains Local Health District. Download case study
- Australia | Leadership, Mater Health Services. Download case study
- Australia | Stakeholder Engagement, Mater Health Services. Download case study
- Australia | Waste Management Planning in a New Build, Mater Misericordiae Limited. Download case study
- Australia | Food Room Service Project, Mater Health Services. Download case study
- Australia | Paper Reduction, Mater Health Services. Download case study
- New Zealand | Communication and Engagement, How to Foster Support and Maintain Interest for Green Interventions in Healthcare, Counties Manukau District Health Board. Download case study
- New Zealand | Green Teams, Counties Manukau District Health Board. Download case study
- New Zealand | Sustainability at APAC (Asia Pacific Forum) 2015, Counties Manukau District Health Board. Download case study
- New Zealand | Theatre Recycling at Middlemore Hospital, Counties Manukau District Health Board. Download case study
- New Zealand | Greener Dialysis- Reduce Medical Waste (MW) from each Hemodialysis (HD), Auckland District Health Board. Download case study
- New Zealand | Greening Operating Rooms- Compostable Drug Trays, Auckland District Health Board. Download case study
- Australia | Minimising Plastic Straw Use, UnitingCare Queensland. Download case study
- Australia | Community Energy Efficiency Program UnitingCare Community and Blue Care. Download case study
- Australia | Energy Savings: Parking Lot Lighting, Mater Health Services. Download case study